3400rpm vibration

TheoRettisch

Nov 17, 2020
Germany
That Toyota explanation is some bullshit for sure. 3500RPM is already more than 50% of the available RPM band. It also does not explain the vibrations completely disappearing when pulling the handbrake or when the drivetrain is still cold.

GRebbew

Dec 22, 2020
Engaging the handbrake did not alleviate the issue for me. I guess you will need to dump the car with Toyota to sort out or move it on. 😕

nails84

Feb 26, 2021
It is starting to sound like owners either learn to live with it or sell the car. I wonder if all cars do it but only some owners notice due to driving habits, loud music, exhaust or whatever.

Pappyjohn

Nov 22, 2020
I don't use sport mode that much but when I do the extra noise doesn't bother me at all. I guess once you know it's there you can't un-hear it but is it really that bad?

Silver

Dec 19, 2020
Can’t comment as not got my car yet and 30 min test drive was not looking for anything
It is though a striped down pared back car sound proofing limited so not expecting an Audi smooth running car going to be a bit mechanical and rough around the edges

Reactions: Pappyjohn

Speedboat55

Mar 3, 2021
Scotland
One person's hum could be another person's bag of nails I guess
I've just done 350 miles today, mostly motorway so had a good opportunity to check out all combinations of 4th, 5th and 6th at light, medium and heavy throttle from 2000 rpm to 4000rpm. I couldn't feel any untoward vibrations in any circumstance. Obviously pleasing for me but I don't doubt others are feeling something different ( and worse) with their cars. So for what it's worth I don't agree that they all do that - mine doesn't!

My GR is a Circuit Pack with 1250 miles on the clock built at the end of Dec 20 and delivered April 21. Good luck getting to the bottom of this problem.

paulous2k

Oct 30, 2020
Hertfordshire
I spent a couple of hours in my car at the weekend, albeit the majority of the time on some of Wales' finest B roads. :)

The only time I noticed a shudder or vibrations was when I was in too high a gear to make reasonable progress ie. so doing 40 in 5th or 6th and driving through the torque peak, which in normal driving I would probably change down a gear or two - probably why I've not really encountered the problem.
This is how I'd describe mine too... Probably wouldn't do it if I dropped a gear. Noticeable from my very first drive (12 miles in the clock)

triumph202

Mar 6, 2021
Australia
ALL have this 'vibration' in common; particularly when the engine is not kept on the boil and working hard.

That's different to what I experienced as mine only happened when accelerating at a reasonable pace. (At least that was the situation on the one day it has happened.)

pat_f40

Mar 1, 2021
Spain
Today I got a hint in a Facebook publication from a guy selling the Cusco diff support silentblocks or rings or whatever that piece is called. He is selling them because the car vibrates from 3000 to 3500 when applying throttle! So... As I was thinking last week, there has to be something wrong with the rubber support from Toyota. Pics below of the cursed pieces.

I've already talked to the dealer again and I believe they will change them asap.

20210515_202631.jpg

20210515_202639.jpg

GRich

Mar 30, 2021
You could be onto something, rubber parts can have quite a wide tolerance on their stiffness properties. Seems a reasonable theory that the diff mounts on your car could be at the stiffer end of their spec.

If not it could also be a slight misalignment in the installation of the mounts. If they’re slightly out there could be some wind up in the installation

GRebbew

Dec 22, 2020
Today I got a hint in a Facebook publication from a guy selling the Cusco diff support silentblocks or rings or whatever that piece is called. He is selling them because the car vibrates from 3000 to 3500 when applying throttle! So... As I was thinking last week, there has to be something wrong with the rubber support from Toyota. Pics below of the cursed pieces.

I've already talked to the dealer again and I believe they will change them asap.

View attachment 11831

View attachment 11832
Fine work. Look forward to hearing the results (or not).

pat_f40

Mar 1, 2021
Spain
I've been to the dealer and have some news.

Toyota Europe is now investigating seriously the issue as there is many people in Europe with this problem. So, with my test they discarded the diff issue and now are doing something else with another car.

The dealer will send the information about this peace I've pointed out in order to have it changed or at least give them some ideas... I believe that by the end of summer we will have the solution to this 💩!

GRebbew

Dec 22, 2020
I've been to the dealer and have some news.

Toyota Europe is now investigating seriously the issue as there is many people in Europe with this problem. So, with my test they discarded the diff issue and now are doing something else with another car.

The dealer will send the information about this peace I've pointed out in order to have it changed or at least give them some ideas... I believe that by the end of summer we will have the solution to this 💩!
I admire your persistence. ✌️

Reactions: pat_f40

marcusfordus

Dec 22, 2020
Sherwood Forest
You could be onto something, rubber parts can have quite a wide tolerance on their stiffness properties. Seems a reasonable theory that the diff mounts on your car could be at the stiffer end of their spec.

If not it could also be a slight misalignment in the installation of the mounts. If they’re slightly out there could be some wind up in the installation
Is it possible to overtighten that fixing bolt and top hat ?

GRich

Mar 30, 2021
I guess it’s not impossible but you’d hope that would be the easy bit! I was thinking more that if the relative position of the diff and subframe are out by a few mm the rubber element could be compressed unevenly and hence be more stiff

AIB Insurance advert