Carbon fiber drive shaft for GR Yaris

GRRRREAT!

Nov 25, 2020
This will contribute very small benefits to the overall rotational inertia of the complete driveline package.
And to anyone that says they can feel the difference between CF and steel due to less flex please remember the large rubber things that transmit the power to the road 😁

• Haha
Reactions: ksc

EvilZ

Apr 28, 2021
Crikey. What happened there?
Nothing just took my time cutting it open with a dremel as to not damage the coupling teeth. Pritty stowt popshafts just a random wrap of loose card inside, not sure if its there to expand during high rpm to create a force exerting outwards or if it was part of the manufacturing process.

Cost me £100ish in parts. (would have been cheaper but one of the u joints was a bit notchy feeling so had to find/make a replacement for a not replaceable part.

Sekred

Feb 14, 2021
Agree with that but if YOU are more than 80kg* look to you first for weight reduction!! :unsure:

* WRC weight allocation
Gees, give me a break.

5498876.jpg

simonabamber

Jun 6, 2021
Newton Abbot, Devon
The older M3/4 had a carbon prop but they removed it for the OPF/GPF final cars as there was an issue with heat coming from the OPF damaging the prop. New generation doesn’t have one either. I can’t remember but does that GR have any shielding around that area?

aussiebogan

Dec 8, 2020
It seems like the top of 5th gear would exceed their 6400rpm specification (driveshaft speed in 5th gear at 7200rpm is 6660rpm (1.081 ratio)). Reading some other forums (BMW especially), they have vibration issues at high speeds consistent with this.

Diyman25

May 29, 2021
The older M3/4 had a carbon prop but they removed it for the OPF/GPF final cars as there was an issue with heat coming from the OPF damaging the prop. New generation doesn’t have one either. I can’t remember but does that GR have any shielding around that area?
Right on
Carbon driveshaft is very sesntive to heat

• Wow
Reactions: TheBarbarian

Phil1291

Registered vendor
Mar 30, 2021
Sirnach, Switzerland
www.roetheli-racing.ch
I just got a quote:
2‘000 USD excl. shipping. Which will be very expensive too.

Plus a fun fact:
They know the weight of their driveshaft, but not the weight of the OEM driveshaft. 🤦‍♂️

Either they didn‘t measure the weight of the OEM driveshaft when they had it or they never had one and produced it without ever having the OEM driveshaft or car.
Either way, that feels very strange to me.

If i manufactur a product and the main goal and purpose of this product is to be lighter than the original, the first thing i‘m gonna do is, weigh the original one. 🤷🏻‍♂️

So, i‘m going to wait until someone else test this thing or some other manufacturer is producing it. 😁

scott-o

May 17, 2021
I just got a quote:

Plus a fun fact:
They know the weight of their driveshaft, but not the weight of the OEM driveshaft. 🤦‍♂️

Either they didn‘t measure the weight of the OEM driveshaft when they had it or they never had one and produced it without ever having the OEM driveshaft or car.

If i manufactur a product and the main goal and purpose of this product is to be lighter than the original, the first thing i‘m gonna do is, weigh the original one. 🤷🏻‍♂️

So, i‘m going to wait until someone else test this thing or some other manufacturer is producing it. 😁
More GR tax on yet another product, they are $1400 for my Lexus ISF that i had and i assume that one is a chunk more robust and larger and arguably for a more limited car.

Seems crazy they cant tell you the weight saving, as you say!

• Sad
Reactions: TheBarbarian

Eschekt

Mar 31, 2021
Dublin, Ireland
I just got a quote:

Plus a fun fact:

Everything coming from the US to improve the GR sounds strange to me. Without access to the car, or working on parts via proxies is a little odd. Sure there will be some European shops tinkering about with parts that are a little more niche.

AIB Insurance advert