Congestion Charge

rexxy

Jul 25, 2021
Hi all,

If you live inside, and perhaps near, the London CC charge zone you should get a leaflet through your letterbox about it but TFL have opened a consultation to rollback some of the emergency changes introduced in August 2020. It's been 7am-10pm 7 days a week, £15 and no new resident's discount registrations or changes allowed since then. From end of Feb 2022, the proposal is to revert to the original Mon-Fri 7am - 6pm hours of operation but add midday - 6pm on weekends. The charge will stay £15 (it used to be £11.50 pre-Rona), the £1 Auto Pay discount will be removed and new registration or changes for the Resident's Discount will be opened again.

If you ever come into London and want to have your say you can at http://tfl.gov.uk/ccyourview until the 6th October.

Of course I have a personal motive - I've had to rent a parking space for my GR 30 mins walk away because you can't register any new resident's cars. At the moment, you can't even make a change - it's keep the same car and keep the discount or make any change and lose it. First world problems and all that but still, it was an annoyingly undemocratic sudden change in policy.

docadiddle

Feb 7, 2021
Congestion charge is such a hypocritical name for a road toll. Everyone could choose to pay it one day and all come into central London only to find it…… congested!

As you say foxspeed, if you set the charge high enough it’ll end up as a playground for those for whom money is no object. If the idea was genuinely to avoid congestion as the name implies then they should simply make a ban!

foxspeed

Staff member
Oct 29, 2020
Greater Leeds
Congestion charge is such a hypocritical name for a road toll. Everyone could choose to pay it one day and all come into central London only to find it…… congested!

As you say foxspeed, if you set the charge high enough it’ll end up as a playground for those for whom money is no object. If the idea was genuinely to avoid congestion as the name implies then they should simply make a ban!

in reality its a tax raising scam to keep bureaucrats in london and the mayor in money/power so they can spend money on non binary pedestrian crossings :LOL:

but seriously i only see it as another way to tax/take money from your pocket

rexxy

Jul 25, 2021
Indeed, it's absolutely a revenue raising scheme. Boris didn't try to remove it when he was Mayor so it's not a political spectrum thing, unlike everything on the internet. Going to Paris or New York for a few days at least makes you appreciate London's transport options, just a bit.

The consultation is asking if they can reduce the tax from the current state - that doesn't happen often!

Reactions: docadiddle
AIB Insurance advert