How to get the steering wheel closer

WAB172uk

Mar 3, 2021
Getting mine fitted next Tuesday. But as I'm not confident it doing it myself, I'm getting a garage to fit it for me.

Last edited:

KTGAZ

Dec 19, 2020
Sunderland
Marked it before disassembly and wheel is straight...
Thanks for trying, I'll try to solve it and report :)
Thats really strange

I tried the male part attached to the female part ‘upside down’ out of interest and it made the centre spline about 5 minutes off either side so found the centre spline was a raised tooth and on the wheel the centre line was a recessed tooth.

mine was against the steering lock as I couldn’t hold the wheel and loosen at the same time but I just made sure all my marking went back together and mine is bang on straight

Just reread your post and see you reconnected the battery so maybe that has something to do with it.

the clock spring plug can only go one way so I can’t see how this might have happened

Reactions: Clemens

Onehp

Dec 7, 2020
IKEA-land
Battery only reconnected when all was done so not out of ordinary.

Was thinking the clock spring isn't strictly aligned with the spacer, there is a few degrees leeway either way and I didn't think to pay special attention to it being 100% level with the flat part in the spacer hole... Maybe I'll go in again and try to level that one out...

KTGAZ

Dec 19, 2020
Sunderland
Battery only reconnected when all was done so not out of ordinary.

Was thinking the clock spring isn't strictly aligned with the spacer, there is a few degrees leeway either way and I didn't think to pay special attention to it being 100% level with the flat part in the spacer hole... Maybe I'll go in again and try to level that one out...
The clock spring can’t be wrong as it sits in the top hole without much space and there are 2 indentations on it which the lugs align with on the back of the spacer

AIB Insurance advert