Idiot binning a Scarlett Flare into a ditch

ksc

Dec 13, 2020
Also I do think he was hoping to slide it like a RWD car but if I'd tried that in my last FWD car it would have just spun the tyres and induced ungodly torque steer.

Lankan

Nov 2, 2020
Middlesex, UK
It's a relatively accessible performance car and buyers will reflect society - some good, some bad and some who are complete muppets.
The press haven't helped however, telling everyone how much grip the car has - so the muppets expect the car to be invincible without any dramas.
Indeed, and defy the laws of physics, which no driver aid will overcome, however one tries...

Pappyjohn

Nov 22, 2020
Also I do think he was hoping to slide it like a RWD car but if I'd tried that in my last FWD car it would have just spun the tyres and induced ungodly torque steer.
Agree. Whilst in sport mode the back steps out it's certainly no power slide and as soon as it finds grip it does shoot forward quite quickly.

Anyone expecting the back to step out in a 4wd car is insane and should have bought a GT86 instead. it's why the other 4wd performance cars like the R and AMG45 have special car meet drift modes that send everything to the back but on a GR 30% is still going to the front. Chris Harris got it to slide but if you look at the video his track is drenched and he has a lot of tarmac to do it on.

This guy should have yanked the handbrake for car meet lols.

Reactions: Sam

JonW

Mar 19, 2021
Sydney
Agree. Whilst in sport mode the back steps out it's certainly no power slide and as soon as it finds grip it does shoot forward quite quickly.

Anyone expecting the back to step out in a 4wd car is insane and should have bought a GT86 instead. it's why the other 4wd performance cars like the R and AMG45 have special car meet drift modes that send everything to the back but on a GR 30% is still going to the front. Chris Harris got it to slide but if you look at the video his track is drenched and he has a lot of tarmac to do it on.

Agreed... and you can also tell if you watch the video closely that editing helped a lot as you can see its quite slam cut, he had to really provoke it and the transition was short and sharp.

Reactions: Sam

Tony Beretta

Dec 28, 2020
Kleinbettingen, Luxembourg
It certainty does this. It’s one of those times for a firm grip on steering wheel and also crossed hands, so you can rapidly take off lock, when it tightens its line under power.

I done drive like that but have felt things tightening out of sharp uphill turns under power in 1st.

As said eleswhere, the GR is not idiot proof. It may actually be more dangerous for some as it does imbue some ‘take everything you throw at it’ vibes. But it will bite.
I agree. This is one of the things I first noticed during my test drive. The car was on winters and it was raining. I stayed inside an empty roundabout for three or four turns and kept pushing. I felt how the more I pushed the more the car pulled inside the turn, ant not caused by oversteer. I found this feeling amazing. I think it was in that moment when I realized I needed a gr

Steve

Nov 22, 2020
Brighton & Hove

Actually, the Focus RS can send no more than 70% torque to the rear axle. The drift mode is an artificially induced slide by initially dumping all of that 70% to the inside rear wheel and then equalising it to maintain the slide. So it intentionally destabilises the car electronically. Like a kind of backwards ESP.

Reactions: Pappyjohn

AlphaDelta

Apr 4, 2021
Actually, the Focus RS can send no more than 70% torque to the rear axle. The drift mode is an artificially induced slide by initially dumping all of that 70% to the inside rear wheel and then equalising it to maintain the slide. So it intentionally destabilises the car electronically. Like a kind of backwards ESP.

I don't think it was available in the European markets but Ford did release a "Drift Stick" handbrake modification for even more hooligan like behaviour. Probably just as well it wasn't available over here but it did look great fun.

sgardne0

Apr 11, 2021
I don't think it was available in the European markets but Ford did release a "Drift Stick" handbrake modification for even more hooligan like behaviour. Probably just as well it wasn't available over here but it did look great fun.
Seen a few "drift knobs" in my time!

• Haha
Reactions: GRBadger

nightoftune

Feb 8, 2021
As a scarlett flare owner it hurts my heart.

I dont think that many of "us" are inexperienced drivers so there should be a stable amount of cars left but i am a little concerned what to do when i may bin the yaris on a track day in 4 years and try to find another one. I think i will get another car for the track next year to drive on my limit.

Reactions: Paolo

sgardne0

Apr 11, 2021
As a scarlett flare owner it hurts my heart.

I dont think that many of "us" are inexperienced drivers so there should be a stable amount of cars left but i am a little concerned what to do when i may bin the yaris on a track day in 4 years and try to find another one. I think i will get another car for the track next year to drive on my limit.
I hear you! I was enjoying telling everyone how much faster the scarlet ones are (which they clearly are), and then some numpty numbnuts goes and does this in one - tragedy for the bragging rights :cry:

• Haha
Reactions: Pappyjohn
AIB Insurance advert