Rear Torsen Diff Installation

chrisb8

Jun 15, 2021
Hello readers,
Does anybody have any information on the procedure to exchange the rear diff? I have an Oz version that has open diffs. I purchased a complete rear LSD unit from Toyota Japan, and have a good shed to work in with all the tools I think to do the job. Super expensive here to get it done. I have jack stands that are reasonably high too. Thanks very much.

yaris lsd install.jpg

zion168

Apr 29, 2021
I think the rear axle spline end nuts are near impossible to loosen without damaging the threads.

Video:
at 14:03

lanman

May 3, 2021
Before buying a Rallye version I priced doofus from local Aus agent .
LSD front 42301-52290 $. 3620
Rear. 41301-52340. $. 4983
Makes the Rallye a bargain

Reactions: Paolo and Kiwi Greg

chrisb8

Jun 15, 2021
I think the rear axle spline end nuts are near impossible to loosen without damaging the threads.

Video:
at 14:03
Yes you got to make sure the nuts are not bent in so as to not damage the axle threads; probably use a dremel to carefully cut them . I got new ones, they are a generic Toyo part

Last edited:
Reactions: triumph202

chrisb8

Jun 15, 2021
what's the price of the open diffs from toyota. that difference is the true difference/justification in pricing.
Torsen $2500 AUD delivered to my door. I bought the car which I think is you Lux pack for $39950 AUD drive away no more to pay. The front will stay an open diff unfortunately as it's not worth the time effort and expense. The cheapest "Rallye" versions which is like your track pack but with lux pack bits limited to only 200 units was around 57k AUD drive away no more to pay. Full price closer to 70K AUD (rough pricing)

chrisb8

Jun 15, 2021

chrisb8

Jun 15, 2021
Before buying a Rallye version I priced doofus from local Aus agent .
LSD front 42301-52290 $. 3620
Rear. 41301-52340. $. 4983
Makes the Rallye a bargain
The price for the rear at least, I paid was $2500. June 21 ($39950 AUD for the car). Out and in replacement, far easier than a cheapers Cusco where you have pull the diff apart and set it up with correct tolerances.

triumph202

Mar 6, 2021
Australia
Out and in replacement, far easier than a cheapers Cusco where you have pull the diff apart and set it up with correct tolerances.
Yes, definitely the better way to DIY. I was reading on the Aussie Facebook group where some rear Cusco's have been fitted, it sounded like they lock up pretty well and could make driving "interesting" if too enthusiastic on corners.

JonW

Mar 19, 2021
Sydney
Torsen $2500 AUD delivered to my door. I bought the car which I think is you Lux pack for $39950 AUD drive away no more to pay. The front will stay an open diff unfortunately as it's not worth the time effort and expense. The cheapest "Rallye" versions which is like your track pack but with lux pack bits limited to only 200 units was around 57k AUD drive away no more to pay. Full price closer to 70K AUD (rough pricing)

You got a bargain thats for sure, even if you end having to replace/fix something that breaks doing this job you'll still have a great value car as youve a lot of headroom etc.

I hope you dont mind but I just wanted to fix your Rallye pricing in case anyone comes along later and reads this:

The initial offer of 200 (more like 250 as they added a few more in) 'GR Rallye' were $56,200 drive away, then they became in the 59-60k drive away pricing (depending on your state). ie in NSW it was about $59200.

FWIW by the time the Rallye was launched, all the cheaper 'initial offer' cars were long gone and dealers already had a filling order book with no real proof they would even get any. Very very few dealers would entertain selling any GRY under RRP. Even before the Rallye had launched I had one of the larger car buying service put out for tender nationwide and they came back with 'RRP or above only on any GRY' etc.

Also worth noting that Toyota never said the Rallye would be a Limited Edition, Im not even sure they said limited production either. Humans will often hear what they want and/or salespeople/journalists/buyers misquoted what they were told. There was a little anger on the Fb forum when >200 numbered cars started to arrive, but it was only a few who seemed to not know that much about the cars really, most people were unsurprised if they'd read what Toyota put in the releases and followed the news etc. Anyway, the Rallye was (will be again? who knows....) simply the 2nd model we could order here with more fruit. That order window was short though, only about 6 months from the 'there will be some $56.2k cars coming next year, order quickly before they go up to full RRP...' late 2020 articles to the 'we are closing the order books on GRY for now' PR end June 21. And for more than half of that time only those who read the car news or were in the know would have ordered them as the Rallye didnt officially launch until April and the press embargo was until the middle of the month, leaving only 2.5 months of ordering by those who found out about the car from the launch press.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paolo
AIB Insurance advert