Shell V-Power Unavailable

Mintmansam

Nov 22, 2020
Sorry to go slightly off topic here, but I had an eye watering first fill up of Shell V-Power today. Normal unleaded was priced up at £1.369, so I pottered in thinking the damage would be 8-10p more. No…

£1.529p

Insane! I kept my nerve though and brimmed her.

There is usually lack of curb side pricing, so it makes it harder to spot a bargain!
Welcome 😂. You should get discounts with shell occasionally I find Esso is best as you collect nectar points and can use point to reduce price per litre.

Prices are rising and I think we might see a jump from the switch to E10 for regular fuel as more people start to use super.

My own data on the price of Esso/Shell in my area
3946DED2-92CE-4639-9BC4-3DED6AD5BBF3.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: Jack

Darren

Dec 9, 2020
Cheshire
Sorry to go slightly off topic here, but I had an eye watering first fill up of Shell V-Power today. Normal unleaded was priced up at £1.369, so I pottered in thinking the damage would be 8-10p more. No…

£1.529p

£149.9 for me yesterday (V-Power). As an aside, during 1st lockdown when I was still driving around (key worker blah blah), 95 ron dropped to 99.9p a litre.

Terry Carson

May 3, 2021
That’s a very good point - if it was truly sealed it would stop the liquid going into the engine due to the pressure - must be a clever air inlet system
Why do you get the shhhhhh sound When you open the cap? Doesn't sound like it's vented or pressure would be equal. Maybe it only vents above certain pressure difference 🤔

Mintmansam

Nov 22, 2020
Why do you get the shhhhhh sound When you open the cap? Doesn't sound like it's vented or pressure would be equal. Maybe it only vents above certain pressure difference 🤔
It’s will have some sort of slight negative pressure relative to the atmospheric air. But not a huge amount, a few mbar which will be the sound. if was a big pressure difference it would make filer cap removal hard, although maybe this is why it’s screwed to aid mechanical advantage and also for sealing

I’m not sure if the filler section might be vented differently to the main tank, perhaps to stop siphoning. All I know is all tanks are vented to allow fuel flow / prevent tank collapse.

Alternatively the gas in the head space above the fuel is a different pressure to the ambient air. Which again could cause the same sound

Blacklinesmatter

Dec 7, 2020
South Yorkshire
Isn't esso 99 tesco momentum? Same fuel from same place. Esso and tesco are one and the same
2 different companies. Tesco will be buying fuels from the wholesale marketplace and blended to their specification / price point. Esso is from ExxonMobil and is a premium blend, you can also buy cucumbers from Esso as they have Tesco convenience stores onsite.

David

Nov 29, 2020
I set off today for the Lake District. The car showed about 140 miles of range. The Lake District is about 65 miles away. There’s a Shell garage in Penrith so I went to fill up before going further. There was no fuel. So I came straight back and filled up at my usual garage in Gateshead. Apparently they were without fuel too recently due to a lack of drivers. Note to self - fill up first.

Jack

Feb 1, 2021
UK
Welcome 😂. You should get discounts with shell occasionally I find Esso is best as you collect nectar points and can use point to reduce price per litre.

Prices are rising and I think we might see a jump from the switch to E10 for regular fuel as more people start to use super.

My own data on the price of Esso/Shell in my area
View attachment 21062
Thanks for sharing! Yes I wonder if we could see a smaller (even if minor) gap between 95/97-99 in future via some sort of economy of scale. Due to some extra people moving to super for E5.

I signed up to Shell and got the £1 off my first fill up, to bring the price per litre down slightly :p. I noticed the Nectar connection with Esso too, so will be keeping an eye out for them too. I’ve tons of Nectar points but never actually redeem them, waiting for Sainsbury’s double up offers. However now they can subsidise my fuel :p.

My wife will not be pleased when she finds out about the price of the fuel required and the disappearance of the previous Nectar points! However all worth it!

Mintmansam

Nov 22, 2020
Thanks for sharing! Yes I wonder if we could see a smaller (even if minor) gap between 95/97-99 in future via some sort of economy of scale. Due to some extra people moving to super for E5.

I signed up to Shell and got the £1 off my first fill up, to bring the price per litre down slightly :p. I noticed the Nectar connection with Esso too, so will be keeping an eye out for them too. I’ve tons of Nectar points but never actually redeem them, waiting for Sainsbury’s double up offers. However now they can subsidise my fuel :p.

My wife will not be pleased when she finds out about the price of the fuel required and the disappearance of the previous Nectar points! However all worth it!
It’s either gonna go down with economy of scale or up as more demand

you get tonnes of nectar points at Esso because your filling up with the premium fuel literally 3x maybe more than normal unleaded , add to that the “fill up with premium bonus” i fine I spend 300 points to get 5p off a litre but I gain 250-400 points for filling up!

710CC2CE-F99C-4F16-BB25-8F2B011DA7FF.png

05C39DEF-4CB7-4999-A1E9-073B8BE720A8.png

Jack

Feb 1, 2021
UK
It’s either gonna go down with economy of scale or up as more demand

you get tonnes of nectar points at Esso because your filling up with the premium fuel literally 3x maybe more than normal unleaded , add to that the “fill up with premium bonus” i fine I spend 300 points to get 5p off a litre but I gain 250-400 points for filling up!

View attachment 21107

View attachment 21108
That’s a good tip! Where do you activate the 5p discount for 300pts?

Is it a case of asking at the till when you pay? (Or activating only at the point of fill up in the app).

As Blacklinesmatter said, will have to ensure I’m running on fumes when I turn up at the pump!

Reactions: Mintmansam

Mintmansam

Nov 22, 2020
That’s a good tip! Where do you activate the 5p discount for 300pts?

Is it a case of asking at the till when you pay? (Or activating only at the point of fill up in the app).

As Blacklinesmatter said, will have to ensure I’m running on fumes when I turn up at the pump!
I’ve done it twice, once it was super clear on the app, when you fill up it came up and said use points. The 2nd time it wasn’t clear and it just happened. I’m not 100% sure if it’s something you can do all the time or not.

Just looked online looks like it ongoing PS max amount is 60L

586CFD79-8EB8-45E0-BEAF-2615E56B78E8.png

01DC2C3B-C50E-4667-A26B-2D17208C6B2E.png

Stu53

Feb 8, 2021
Soooo…
On the Esso thing… assuming u get points from petrolonly u need 300 litres to get a discount, so at £1.50 a litre that’s £450 spend.

discounted fuel
60l x £1.45 = £87

normal price
60l x £1.50 = £90

so if you buy £540 of fuel from them, they give you £3 back, which is a 0.6% saving.

I’m guessing it’s prob more than £1.50 a litre, and a GR fuel tank is def smaller than 60 litres so the actual saving is prob closer to 0.4%.

have I gone wrong somewhere there or is the offer really that bad!?

Jack

Feb 1, 2021
UK
Soooo…
On the Esso thing… assuming u get points from petrolonly u need 300 litres to get a discount, so at £1.50 a litre that’s £450 spend.

discounted fuel
60l x £1.45 = £87

normal price
60l x £1.50 = £90

so if you buy £540 of fuel from them, they give you £3 back, which is a 0.6% saving.

I’m guessing it’s prob more than £1.50 a litre, and a GR fuel tank is def smaller than 60 litres so the actual saving is prob closer to 0.4%.

have I gone wrong somewhere there or is the offer really that bad!?
The offer is not great. However the point is (excuse the pun) - 1 nectar point has a value of 0.5p if redeemed to buy most things, eg shopping at Sainsbury’s. So it’s all about maximising the value of those points.

So to activate the offer you need to spend 300 (£1.50) worth of points for 5p per litre discount.

This means 30 litres is the minimum delivery required in order to get the standard value of the points. Anything extra you are then saving. Eg. 40 litres would mean you saved 50p (10x5p) / get that much more value for the points. Which is peanuts but every little helps.

However the other aspect mintmansam mentioned is you get quite a lot of nectar points for the fill up of premium fuel. So if you collect say 150 points for the fill up, then the cost of activating the offer was 75p worth of Nectar points.

This is my understanding. There is very little benefit and maybe this will be seen as too much of a faff, however if you are keen on beating the banker (Nectar redemption value), then this should do it.

AlphaDelta

Apr 4, 2021
Filled up at Shell yesterday, no shortage of vpower (I'm in Essex) so hopefully just a blip/localised issue.

AIB Insurance advert