Toyota battery charger

NalaGR

Aug 25, 2021
Australia
Definitely not OK. You will bend the plates in the battery and it will never perform at its full capacity after such a huge current surge.
Do you mean any jump start would cause permanent damage?

A C-Tek battery conditioner will desulphate the plates, keep the battery at its peak performance and you won't have to worry.
I don't have access to power point for my car as i park mine on the street in front of my property.

Though someone suggested physically taking the battery off the car and leave it on a bench to trickle charge it indoors. you reckon that would work?

Due to circumstances sometimes i have to leave my vehicle for extended period of times (2-3 months).

ExpatObserver

Apr 6, 2021
Edinburgh

I don't have access to power point for my car as i park mine on the street in front of my property.

Though someone suggested physically taking the battery off the car and leave it on a bench to trickle charge it indoors. you reckon that would work?

Due to circumstances sometimes i have to leave my vehicle for extended period of times (2-3 months).
Wish you were asking these questions next year once I’ve got my GRY and have made a few measurements and thought out a couple of options as I have a somewhat similar issue to you.

In the meantime, just some info for you:

1 ). CTEK recently brought out a new product (CS Free) that will maintain a battery where there is no mains power supply. The trouble is, you need to buy a second battery to power this device and I’ve not yet researched how long that second battery lasts. Also, the CS Free is expensive — £250 plus.
Something to look into but not immediately appealing.

2 ) You might actually be better off just fitting a simple battery isolator switch. If you go for a long run in the car to ensure the battery is fully charged just before you leave it, then isolate the battery it would be fine for three months with no need to remove it from the car or charge it. It would be also make the car slightly harder to steal but the alarm and any immobiliser etc. would not be functional. Not sure also about getting the doors locked then unlocked — don’t yet have a car to play with.
BUT, you are very likely to loose device memory on various as yet unknown modules on the car. Some of these memory values will simply be relearned. It’s the ones that need manual intervention that might be problematic. As just one example, on some cars you need to recalibrate window positions etc.
I’m not sure if anyone on the forum has yet tried this and knows what the extent of the of the issues are. Also I’ve got my doubts as to how accurate or complete an opinion you’d get from the local Toyota service tech on this new and unusual car.

My advice is, don't try this unless you are brave and prepared to work through any issues. Also, if you do fit a battery isolater switch, NEVER isolate the battery when the engine is running.
If you are brave, let me know what happens. I really want to know 😂

3 ) Possibly fit a battery with a substantially higher AH capacity. Various pros and cons to this. Will become clear when the size of such a battery can be calculated, after the car’s normal quiescent / standby current can be measured.

So, in summary I don’t have an answer for you until I get my car and can make some measurements 🙁
Not much help huh?

It really is an interesting subject. At least for us electrical types. Dull as dishwater for everyone else probably…. 😂

Hopefully one of the other guys on here with an electrical skill set who already had access to a GRY will come up with something workable for you faster than I can 🤓

Last edited:

Paolo

Mar 21, 2021
Hey Gents

I just noticed my Yuasa (stock battery) is transparent in the sight glass and on the battery itself it states "add distilled water"

Based on that fact it appears its not a maintenance free battery and ill have to give it a top up.

Just a heads up.
Yeah that would make sense, since the exhaust pipe of the battery is ventilated out to the atmosphere via the adjacent conduit.

MIKEGR

Dec 17, 2020

Yes, I'm my experience of over 40+ Years, if the Battery is so flat it will not start the Car, a Huge Current Surge has almost always caused permanent damage, although, sometimes if you catch it very early, for example if you leave your lights on and it flattens your battery and you immediately Jump Start from Another car, you sometimes get away with it.

Booster Packs normally shove Huge amounts of Current and almost always clobber your battery.

However, if the Battery has been flat for some time a jump start will kill it!

Yes, if that's your only option. Just remember to always discreet the Negative first and Reconnect the Negative Last when refitting. Just in case you short something to the bodywork, which is Connected to Negative. (y)

Reactions: ExpatObserver

KeithBook

Sep 22, 2021
Hi....this might sound a bit shortsighted however have you attempted completely charging the battery? Disengage it first and afterward accuse for the time being of a good brilliant charger. Actually look at voltage with an advanced voltmeter subsequent to trusting that the surface charge will disperse - ought to be basically around 12.8 volts. Reconnect and perceive how long it endures.

You can check for battery channel by associating the voltmeter in series with the battery positive lead however trust that the vehicle will 'rest' prior to doing as such.

On the off chance that the battery is acceptable (test to perceive how long it holds a charge when disengaged) and your voltmeter shows a channel of an excess to follow the channel. There is a definite aide on calm battery channel composed by Robbie on the Disco 3 site.

Reactions: TheBarbarian
AIB Insurance advert