Toyota GR Yaris Forum banner

TPMS Wheel Sensors

45K views 208 replies 59 participants last post by  991RS 
#1 ·
I’m going to put some winter tyres straight on the car when it comes next week, they’ll be on another set of rims so I’ll need another set of sensors.
If the Toyota ones are a good enough price I’d rather stick with those than aftermarket.

Does anybody know if the replacements need any form of coding to the car? When I change the wheels on our beemer (which is also a direct system with sensors) I simply select a setting in the iDrive, then ride round the block, and the jobs done. Is it a similar system in the Yaris?

#8 ·
On the standard Yaris, and a few other Toyota the new sensors either have to be cloned, or programmed via the OBD2 port, using a TPMS tool. I assume the GR will be the same as it seems to be a bit of a "Toyota thing"
I should have all I need later this week to give it a try and I'll report back. (y)
Thanks for everyones help to get the ball rolling :)

#9 ·
On the standard Yaris, and a few other Toyota the new sensors either have to be cloned, or programmed via the OBD2 port, using a TPMS tool. I assume the GR will be the same as it seems to be a bit of a "Toyota thing"
I should have all I need later this week to give it a try and I'll report back. (y)
Thanks for everyones help to get the ball rolling :)
It does say in the manual how to program a 2nd set of wheels via the onboard computer

#35 ·
I don't know all the numbers, but we recently purchased this ts 508, I think it was £299 + vat with 8 valves .
As we use it quite a lot at work , I've sold all these valves & probably 8 more.
Have to say it's absolutely fantastic !
Fairly simple to use & will program nigh on anything to any car .
As a garage it's good to know that if you have a steel shank valve & a rubber one in stock, you can fix any car.
We previously used a VDO machine which is an Ateq unit from USA . The build quality of this is far better than the Autel, but not even in the same league as the Autel & was about £700.
Can't see I will ever use it again now.

Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Steering wheel

#37 ·
Can you explain what needs to be done?

Do the valves need programming or the car? Or both? Will the yaris learn without having ecu programmed?

Is it best to read the codes on the valves on the wheels that come with the car initially and then program those codes to your two sets of new valves?

If you then rotate the wheels around the car will the car sort this out itself?

You then decide to introduce a wheel from 2nd set into 1st set. You now have a 3/4 chance of having 2 valves using same code, the car is not going to like that I guess.

The version you bought does not connect to the
Odb port anyway so guess you manage without programming the cars ecu.

#40 ·
Blimey, lots of questions. At work, so been V busy .
On my car , I copied the original valves & so no programming to the car was required.
The car doesn’t ever realise the wheels are swapped.
My machine does connect obd, so that is how you usually do it.
Recently put 4 on a Hyundai that had a refurb set of wheels, we had no original valves .
It has a large data base, so you select the correct model of car & it puts 4 codes into the new valves .
You then connect to obd & force the data into the car.
The Yaris has a setting mode in the dashboard where you can relearn position, I was looking at it today as my light came on due to one tyre dropping below the presets.